Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Now That's an Ad

I think its appeal is honesty in advertising...or not. It's an innovative beer ad that I found quite entertaining for two minutes. Heck, I think I'll go watch it a second time.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

#88 for Governor

This man has four Superbowl rings - I wouldn't bet against him. Lynn Swann is officially running for Governor of the state of Pennsylvania.
"Swann ... firmly tossed his hat in the ring to contest incumbent Edward G. Rendell, a Democrat, in 2006. "I'm running to be the next governor of Pennsylvania."
"We realize only a small fraction of the potential we have in this country."

Swann, who has been with Big Brothers and Big Sisters of America for a quarter century, related how his mission with that organization has always been to "show kids what real possibilities are."
Would it be considered "utopian" to imagine blacks one day believing that they could get jobs alongside white folks and support their families without Affirmative Action or government handouts?

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

The mainstream media's hypocrisy on unions and poverty. (Via Newsbusters.)

Thursday, September 22, 2005

The "Stuck on Stupid" Millennium

"Stuck on stupid" pretty much sums up the millennium so far, doesn't it? Ever since the 2000 Presidential election, politicizing natural disasters, poo-pooing first-ever elections in Iraq and Afghanistan, excitedly counting bodies, always blaming Bush for anything and everything, celebrating every catastrophe and condemning or ignoring every success, our media and much of the world population is indeed stuck on stupid. It's like an anti-religion. It's a disease: BDS, otherwise known as Bush Derangement Syndrome.

Hollywood is Stuck on Stupid

Yet another movie to skip.

Warning: Movie plot spoiler follows.


You see, to Hollywood producers, the real terrorists are the flight attendants and the air marshalls. I expect Flight Plan will be yet another flop. Who does Hollywood think is watching this crap? Isn't there a flight attendants' union? Oh yeah, that's right - the unions give money to the same politically correct people that Hollywood does so the unions won't do squat. Anyone who has viewed more than ten minutes worth of tv-advertisements in California could tell you that.

PREVIOUS: Hollywood at War.

The coolest video I've ever seen

Cool because it's real (maybe). Asian chicks rock. Watch it.

More MSM Bias

Why hasn't the media asked national Democrats what they think about California's same-sex marriage bill? Hugh Hewitt sorts it out for us.
On September 1, the California state Senate, by a vote of 21 to 15, approved same-sex marriage for the Golden State.

On Tuesday, September 6, the state Assembly approved the same bill by a margin of 41 to 35. No Republican voted for the measure, and four Assembly Democrats voted against it. The bill proposed changing the legal definition of marriage from "a civil contract between a man and a woman" to a "civil contract between two persons." Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed the bill, citing the overwhelming victory of Proposition 22, an initiative banning same-sex marriage, which had passed with 61 percent of the vote in 2000.

National news media accounts of the votes and the vetoes quoted the backers of the proposal as well as the governor's spokespeople, and advocates and opponents on both sides of the debate.

But in no story that I can find did a reporter think to ask a national Democratic leader for their opinion on the vote by their California colleagues. Google News cannot even find San Francisco Democrat and House minority leader Nancy Pelosi's name in the same story as same-sex marriage. Neither can the San Francisco Chronicle over the past 30 days.
Isn't the California Democratic party really reflecting the true feelings of the Democrats, feelings which a number of your colleagues share but which come with too high a political penalty?"
There isn't an honest journalist in the country who would deny that those are interesting questions which would generate news no matter how Senator Clinton or Senator Reid or Schumer answered. That they haven't been asked--by any reporter in any venue of any big-name Democrat--speaks volumes about the mainstream media's bias and its adjunct status to the Democratic party.

Yet more Stuck on Stupid

California "moderate" senator joins the looney left. Shocking stuff.
"I cannot in good conscious cast a 'yea' vote. I will cast a 'no' vote," [Senator Feinstein] said.
Mebbe she could do it while unconscious?

This will just make it that much easier to nominate Janice Rogers Brown for O'Connor's spot.

UPDATE: The Senate Judiciary Committee just voted 13-5 to confirm John Roberts to be the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. The Senate will vote on Monday.


Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Compare and Contrast

There is a right way

and a wrong way

to deal with hurricanes. It's a good thing the governors of Texas, Alabama and Mississippi are Republicans. Mebbe those Lousianians will learn from their mistakes.

The Battle of New Orleans

This article tells you all you need to know about what went wrong after Katrina and why the 2nd Amendment is so important:
NEW ORLEANS, Sept 21 (Reuters) - After the storm came the carjackers and burglars. Then came the gun battles and the chemical explosions..."The hurricane was a breeze compared with the crime and terror that followed," said Gregg Harris, a psychotherapist who lives in the battered area...Citizens organized armed patrols and checked on the elderly. They slept on their porches with loaded shotguns and bolted awake when intruders stumbled on the aluminum cans they had scattered on the sidewalk.

Gunshots rang out for days, sometimes terrifyingly close.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

They can Do That?

Goodbye plastic surgery. Now there's face transplants. Imagine your doctor saying to you,
"Your face will be removed and replaced with one donated from a cadaver, matched for tissue type, age, sex and skin color."
Welcome to 2005. You might want to take a look at the back-side of your spouse's driver's license.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Stalinism at CAIR: photo doctored for Islamic correctness

This is hilarious. They should have hired a ten-year-old to 'fix' their pics. I can't understand why anyone, particularly our government, would take CAIR seriously.

The Elections in Germany...

... are becoming quite ugly. Just take a look at this display at a rally for Schröder and his Social Democrats:

Can't you just feel the love?

Dutch Soldiers in Biloxi?

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Pledge of Allegiance Unconstitutional?

Yup. That's what federal Judge Lawrence Karlton ruled today. Next up, the fabled 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, then the Supreme Court, minus a Chief Justice. Should be smooth sailing from here on out for Dread Pirate Roberts, and anyone else the President cares to nominate. That Karl Rove guy is a genius.

Friday, September 09, 2005

Nice to see somebody still watches CNN

SondraK watches the CommieNewzNuts and predictably gets a tad perturbed.

Games with Google

'Google' the word 'failure' and you get, 'Biography of President George W. Bush,' though nowhere on the page referenced does the word 'failure' appear. Some ugly little turd at Google is having a good time.

These people need a clue

I am about to voice my displeasure to the National Park Service and the Secretary of the Interior once I find the appropriate email addresses, but at least I've sent an insensitive email to the designer of the entry that won this competition for the design of the Flight 93 National Memorial. I was pissed when I saw the picture. The "Crescent" is a grove of red maple trees, and the "star" is a cluster of red and sugar maple trees. Looks pretty conspicuous, even blatant, no? Here's what I sent:
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:35:06 (PDT)
From: "DW"
Subject: Crescent of Embrace
To: info@paulmurdocharchitects.com
I am deeply saddened by your design for the Flight 93 memorial in Shanksville, PA. You could not possibly be unaware that the crescent moon with a star is the internationally-recognized symbol of the faith of Islam. Is it your intention to honor the terrorist hijackers? Your design appears to be the equivalent of putting a swastika over a holocaust memorial site. I am thoroughly disgusted, and would expect others to be equally disgusted when they discover your plan. If your "Crescent of Embrace" memorial goes forward, it will further victimize Americans. I can only imagine your motivation - perhaps it is to turn Americans into hate-filled terrorists, as you must expect the trees in this memorial to be torched.
UPDATE: Contact information for the National Park Service is here. When I tried to submit an email message from this page, it said "URL Not Found," so I sent a fax instead.

UPDATE 2: (Via Bluemerle) In case you had lingering doubts, this should lay those to rest. Shoot an arrow on the bow of the crescent and it flies along the path of the qibla, which is the imaginary line to Mecca that Muslims align themselves with when they pray. That's right - the "Crescent of Embrace" would point to Mecca.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

What he/she said...

On selective reporting in journalism.

Monday, September 05, 2005

I could have done something...

It's called Tribes, and it is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. Go read it, now, otherwise the rest of this post will seem disconnected.

There is one part of Bill Whittle's essay that I wish someone could explain for me, and it is in a quote from "The Bulletproof Mind."
While there is nothing morally superior about the sheepdog, the warrior, he does have one real advantage -- only one. He is able to survive and thrive in an environment that destroys 98 percent of the population.
You see, the thing is there is this information war going on. (No, I do not think I am fighting it with this blog - this is just side notes, like taking notes in the margins of a book. It's more for myself really - in the past month less than one thousand people have seen this page, and if spambots count then the number is much, much smaller.) Though we've been kicking the crap out of the Jihadists militarily, we've been losing the war for people's minds. Which is more important? Well, look at Vietnam. In this one way, the war on terrorism is like the Vietnam War. Public opinion was, and is, stronger than bombs. They, the "wolves" know it, and a small number of "sheepdogs" know it, too. The vast majority of people in the world don't want to believe that there are bad people out there who want to kill us, the infidels. They don't want to know and get quite angry with you if you make them look at the man getting his head cut off (Nick Berg, Paul Johnson, etc.), the woman being raped (some of Saddam's government officials carried personnel cards identifying their official "activity" as the "violation of women's honor"), or the children being shot in the back (Beslan, the Feyhadeen in Basra and other Iraqi cities). I won't post the pictures, but you know I could. So when LtCol. Grossman says, "He (the sheepdog) is able to survive and thrive in an environment that destroys 98 percent of the population," in the context of an information war, what does that mean? Does that mean that when 98% of the population says, "Too many bad things have happened. It's just not worth it. I give up," and votes accordingly, the other 2% still has a chance? Or does it mean that when 98% of the population has lost touch with reality because it refuses to recognize a threat, the sheepdog can still see the threat in time to react? If the other 98% doesn't want to be protected, what then? I'm just asking.

The 2-State Solution

It's looking like once the Israelis pull out of the West Bank and Gaza, all non-Muslims will be killed. By all means, give them their own country -- call it the "Palestinian Asylum."

Jason fisks Bob

...and does a fine job of it. The NY Slimes insults its readers once again. Do you think anyone would notice if the Slimes just printed "Blame Bush" over and over again for 50 pages and sent that out? Well, maybe. Maybe not. It's not like al-Reuters is much better, anyway.

Meanwhile, John over at Powerline fisks former Enron advisor Krugman, another NY Slimes idiotarian. One would think that the largest newspaper in the country could hire a writer with a brain, but as you look through the rest of their editorial selections, it becomes apparent that they choose not to.

Um..Wow... Thanks

Roberts' nomination to the Chief Justice position was a surprise this morning, but not as surprising as this:
"The oil-rich Persian Gulf state of Kuwait said Sunday it will donate $500 million in aid to U.S. relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina.

The offer is the largest known put forward since the hurricane ravaged Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama and follows a $100 million aid donation from the emir of a Mideast neighbor, Qatar."

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Today's required reading

"An Unnatural Disaster: A Hurricane Exposes the Man-Made Disaster of the Welfare State," by Robert Tracinski.
"Public officials did not expect that the first thing they would have to do is to send thousands of armed troops in armored vehicle, as if they are suppressing an enemy insurgency. And journalists—myself included—did not expect that the story would not be about rain, wind, and flooding, but about rape, murder, and looting.

But this is not a natural disaster. It is a man-made disaster.

The man-made disaster is not an inadequate or incompetent response by federal relief agencies, and it was not directly caused by Hurricane Katrina. This is where just about every newspaper and television channel has gotten the story wrong."
Spot-on as usual, there is Mark Steyn.
"...for all the talk of “reaching out” to America’s allies, you get the feeling the foreign pages are one big yawnsville to them. In the old days on Broadway, they used to have what they called “catalogue songs” – laundry lists of lyrical examples that all went to prove the same point – that “You’re The Top” or that “These Foolish Things Remind Me Of You”. In this case, whatever happens around the world, These Geopolitical Things Remind Me Of Bush."
And of course you should always be reading Victor Davis Hanson.
"...we have had this debate over competing therapeutic and tragic visions of human nature here at home since the 1960s. We are still arguing over carrot-and-stick dilemmas, such as incarceration versus rehabilitation or workfare in place of welfare.

But now the debate is not over public policy, but rather our very survival — as we struggle to find the proper way of defeating a vicious enemy without losing our liberal soul."

Saturday, September 03, 2005

R.I.P. Justice Rehnquist

Wow. Alan Dershowitz just called the recently deceased Chief Justice a "Republican THUG" on Foxnews. You'd think these people could wait until the body is cold.

Livin' in the Twilight Zone

Read this article titled, "New Orleans is Sinking," and then look at the publication date.

Friday, September 02, 2005

Bullwinkle pulls a rabbit out of his hat

The following comes from Random Numbers:

"An August 28th AP article admits that President Bush personally urged Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco to order mandatory evacuation of New Orleans long before Katrina struck.
Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding.
Hearing the version of events touted as fact by the lying scum that refers to itself as “reality based” seems to point to an extremely unreal definition of reality. To hear them tell it Bush not only ignored the danger, he personally cut the funds needed to prevent it in the first place. As any high-school government student would be able to tell you if it was wasn’t for the wonderful job of brainwashing done on our youth by the Marxist group of otherwise unemployable useful idiots known as the NEA, Presidents PROPOSE budgets, but congress actually writes them to suit their own agendas. And as the article clearly points out, President Bush pleaded with the governor to order mandatory evacuations. What New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin did instead was issue a suggestion:
The mayor called the order unprecedented and said anyone who could leave the city should. He exempted hotels from the evacuation order because airlines had already canceled all flights.
Mandatory evacuations don’t use the word “should”, they use the word “must”. If you’ve seen any TV at all in the last few days you’ve seen hundreds of buses, both city and school system, sitting on parking lots and in many cases partially underwater in New Orleans. Those buses could have carried out evacuees that couldn’t afford to leave otherwise, saving evacuees and buses from the flooding.
The America-hating left’s warped ideology relies so much on dishonesty and the predisposition of the their constituents to accept it that facts go unnoticed by them. Reality based? Not by a long shot…."

I wish this was satire, but it's not

Turns out Planned Parenthood is doing its part to "help" Hurricane Katrina victims:
Planned Parenthood Federation of America interim president Karen Pearl lauded her group's efforts in a recent email to its supporters.

"As Hurricane Katrina ripped through the southeastern United States, Planned Parenthood [is] there to offer one free month of birth control or one free emergency contraception kit to women from Louisiana and Mississippi," Peal wrote.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

And now, a word from the Left side of the blogosphere

This little rant about sending aid to hurricane victims, or raTHer not sending aid, from BradBlog is just priceless. You have to read it to believe it:
"A large part of me still believes that many of these W-worshipping numbskulls deserve to suffer and to die. They brought it on themselves. Let them look to Jayzuss for aid: It's time they stopped leeching off the more productive blue staters."
What an ass.

fake but accurate - Kim Jong Il