Monday, November 14, 2005

So let me get this straight

Mary Mapes, former CBS 'news' producer, said on Good Morning America:
Ross: "This seems remarkable to me that you would sit here now and say you still find that story to be up to your standards."

Mapes: "I'm perfectly willing to believe those documents are forgeries if there's proof that I haven't seen."

Ross: "But isn't it the other way around? Don't you have to prove they're authentic?"

Mapes: "Well, I think that's what critics of the story would say. I know more now than I did then and I think, I think they have not been proved to be false, yet."

Ross: "Have they proved to be authentic though? Isn't that really what journalists do?"

Mapes: "No, I don't think that's the standard."
So what is the standard? John Hawkins explains:
...according to Mapes, it's not the responsibility of the media to prove to the public that its stories are true, it's the responsibility of the public to prove that its stories are false to the satisfaction of the media.
Unbelievable. I like this interview of Mapes even better though.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The aliens have landed. Beam me up, Scotty.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home